Monday, June 13, 2011

Getting started Part I

One of the hardest parts of saving money for me is actually getting started.  I've always wanted to save, but never really knew how because I love going to stores a little too much.  We have a budget and I've tried to stick to it but usually fail miserably, unfortunately. 

About two months ago I caught an episode of "Extreme Couponing"  on TLC (Side note: I've only watched about 1.5 episodes of that show, I'm not a fan) that featured a mother getting items to not only store enough food/personal items for her family for several months, but she also donated a lot of items to churches, other families, charities, etc.  I remember thinking, "Hmm, could I do that?"  And then I forgot about it.  Not long after, the hubby and I were visiting his uncle and aunt and they were watching the show.  His aunt said she'd attended a couponing class by a local blogger who teaches others how to search store ads for deals, compare prices, stack coupons, the whole deal.  She said she learned a lot and had gone shopping at Harris Teeter that day and saved about $50 using coupons.  The hubby and I were both in agreement that it would be nice to save, but I didn't really know how to get started.  I already saved coupons and used them as needed, but I didn't know how to use them to their full potential.  His aunt recommended I look up the blogger, A Frugal Chick, for tips on saving money.

The next day, I was hooked.  Hooked on reading blogs about saving money, that is.  From A Frugal Chick I found The Coupon Challenge and from there I found My Coupon Teacher.  I began reading about how to get started in the world of couponing, how store coupon policies work, how to stick to a weekly budget, and how to start what a lot of people call a "stockpile" (I prefer to call mine a "Shelf of Fun," because that's about all the space I have) so that you always have what you need on hand.  The whole idea made me excited because I learned I could still go shopping and get things we needed, but I could save a lot more money by following their techniques. 

It's been about two months since I really started couponing.  I've been able to cut our monthly grocery bill by about $50 so far and hope to get it down another $50 in the next few months.  Since there are only two of us, there's no reason why I should have been spending what I was each month on groceries.  My ultimate goal is to cut the bill by 50% within a year. 

If you're new to couponing, I'll be honest--it's overwhelming at first.  If you're totally lost, I recommend The Coupon Teacher's free 12-week course on Becoming a Savvy Shopper.  A lot of the items in the course can be completed in a much shorter amount of time, but the point is to not overwhelm people who are new to couponing.  It's easier to print out all 12 weeks and read through them a few days at a time as you feel more comfortable.

I spend about 2-3 hours per week reading coupon blogs, preparing my lists, organizing coupons, etc.  This may seem like a lot of time to some people, but I choose to spend that much time.  Others may spend more or less time.  I'm not an extreme couponer, I don't make multiple transactions at the store, and I don't pitch a fit when a store won't accept my coupon.  I've been told I'm a nice couponer by several cashiers.  :)

To sum it up, these blogs have helped me get to the point I'm at now:
A Frugal Chick (Hampton Roads based)
The Coupon Challenge (Hampton Roads based)
My Coupon Teacher (NC based)
Frugal Living and Having Fun
Money Saving Mom

I would recommend finding locally based bloggers as they will have the best local store prices/deals as most store prices vary by region.


How did you get into couponing?  What advice do you have for people who are just starting out?  

0 comments:

Post a Comment