Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Grocery Trips 7/13


Today I went to Harris Teeter and Farm Fresh to pick up a few sale items.  Harris Teeter didn't have much going on sale-wise that was worth getting, so most of the items in the picture are from Farm Fresh.

I bought:

From Harris Teeter:
2 boxes Duncan Hines brownie mix: $.50 ea (Don't ask how many boxes of brownie mix I currently have.  I heart brownies from a box.)
2 boxes Suddenly Salad: $.50 ea
1 bag HT rice: on sale for $.89 (not pictured, I forgot about it until I looked at the receipt to write this post)

Total after coupons: $2.99

From Farm Fresh:
Emerald Trail Mix: $.50
2 boxes Carnation Instant Breakfast: $2 ea, plus I got a $2 coupon at the register off my next purchase
2 bottles Honest Tea: free
1 value pack bonesless chicken breats: $1.99/lb=$8.26 (not pictured, obviously)
8th Continent Soy Milk: $1.59
Tyson Grilled Chicken Strips: $.89
They have an advertised deal where you purchase four General Mills products for $10 and receive a coupon for free milk as well as a $2 coupon printed at the register, so for this deal I bought:
2 boxes Fiber One bars: $1.70 ea
1 box Honey Nut Cheerios: $1.50
1 box Golden Grahams: $1.50

Total cost after coupons: $21.86
Only saved 44%, I can't seem to do much better than that lately.

There was a little issue at the register where my coupons and free milk coupon didn't print and apparently they hadn't been printing all day.  I had planned on just taking my stuff to the car and going back in for the milk since we need it.  The cashier was trying to write a note on my receipt for next time so I could get the discount on my next trip.  That seemed like another issue waiting to happen, so I told her about my plan just to go get the milk and $4 worth of stuff.  Fast forward to me getting a gallon of milk and 2 cartons of ice cream for $2.05 after discounts.

I've put myself in a tad bit of a budget crisis for the rest of the month.  I only have $34 for the rest of the month for groceries and household items.  That's $17 per week.  It will be tight, but it can be done.  Luckily we're good on meat and paper products for the rest of the month.  Next month I'm attempting to get our grocery bill down to $200.  It's a challenge I'm willing to try.  I'm pretty sure hubby would owe me at least an ice cream date if I was able to make that goal.  Hmm...

2 comments:

Bliddell said...

My milk voucher didn't print either! Only I didn't realize it until after I got home...drat! Where did you get the Honest Tea coupons? I haven't run across any. Oh, and I don't have a ton of brownie mix at my house...but I won't disclose our current Cheerios count...it's embarrassing.

Tiffany said...

I only noticed the milk coupon because I needed milk. :) The Honest Tea coupons came from a website called Recyclebank, not sure if you've heard of it. Hmm, maybe I should make a new post about that site... And, at least Cheerios have a higher nutritional value than brownies. I only have 3 boxes of Cheerios, but 7 boxes of brownies. We see where my priorities are.

Post a Comment